In this session you will learn about “Progressive Web Apps”, what exactly makes a Web App “Progressive” and how it improve’s user experiences through combining the best of the web and the best of apps.
Benefits to the user start with the first use with no install required. Quick load times, availability on spotty networks, push notifications, a full screen experience and icon on home screen are some of the most advantageous qualities of Progressive Web Apps.
Come join Doug for a walk through of how he built a Progressive Web App for the UVA Library to empower users to find books and other resources with the ease and mobility not possible before.
What you’ll learn:
- What a Progressive Web Application is
- What Web Components are and how Polymer makes it easier to work with them
- How to create a Progressive Web Application using Web Components
- How to create, maintain, and (re)use your own web components using Polymer, Git, and Bower
- How to use Firebase to easily build in authentication and online/offline database access using the cloud